A young chap who looked like a surfer dude (“Everybody’s going surfing, surfing Toorak”) said the following to me as I offered him a Labor how-to-vote card yesterday:
In response, I’d like to say the following:
Other memorable moments from election day:
1. Peter Costello turning up to the booth wearing a baseball cap (hey, not much happens at polling booths unless you live in Wentworth).
2. Stephen Mayne bothering to turn up (the current count has the Crikey chap and perpetual candidate possessing 1,239 votes).
2. The lovely Green lady’s exasperation at the obvious disinterest in her party by the youngsters in the electorate.
3. The lovely 80-year-old Liberal lady who kept me entertained for several hours with her tales of life. While her politics were rank, she was a reminder of how much members of the older generation have a commitment to civic engagement.
4. Far away from the seat of Higgins, the voters of Dobell gave a resounding “idiot taxeating what the @&?” to a certain blogosphere identity. The said identity (currently on 149 votes) is just ahead of the Citizens Electoral Council. Kent Brockman’s wrong, democracy does work.