OK, just quickly, here is Rudd’s new Cabinet. Noteworthy:
- Julia Gillard gets IR and education.
- Peter Garrett gets environment, heritage and the arts, but water and climate change have been hived off into a new portfolio for Penny Wong.
- Bob McMullan is not in the Cabinet, he’s been given a Parliamentary Secretary position on international aid.
- Mar’n Ferguson gets resources, energy, and tourism. That may lead to some interesting cabinet bunfights, given Ferguson’s public association with climate change skepticism.
- As well as Joel Fitzgibbon as Defence Minister, the ABC has both Greg Combet and Mike Kelly as Parliamentary Secretaries in the area, with Greg Combet given responsibilities in the area of defence procurement.
Meanwhile, it’s Nelson leading the Opposition, with Bishop deputy. If I were Rudd, I’d be putting my two Parliamentary Secretaries for Defence to work reviewing Nelson’s record in defence procurement…